Individualized Treatment Plans that Emphasize Education and Encourage Self-care
At Paula Dillon Mays Therapy Clinics, we provide confidential, effective lymphedema therapy delivered by physical therapists and physical therapy assistants with experience and accredited training. We develop individualized treatment plans for each patient, emphasizing education and independence in self-care.
Lymphedema is an accumulation of lymphatic fluid that can cause abnormal swelling in the arms, legs, feet, breast, abdomen, neck, or head. Lymphedema develops when lymphatic vessels are impaired or missing or when lymph nodes are removed.
There are many root causes, including cancer surgery, orthopedic surgery, joint replacement, scar tissue, old injuries, radiation treatment, and diabetes-related wounds.
As lymphedema progresses, the resulting swelling can severely restrict mobility and make joint movement quite painful. Soft tissues can become hard and fibrotic, decreasing the flow of blood and oxygen to the area and increasing the risk of recurrent infections.
Lymphedema therapy is a safe, effective treatment for removing excessive accumulation of lymph fluid. It consists of slow, gentle, rhythmic hands-on techniques used for lymph drainage. Other techniques, such as compression wraps and scar tissue massage, can also combine to improve the flow of lymphatic fluid.
Our lymphedema care can help with the following problems:
- Pain and fullness of soft tissue
- Sensation of thickness, heaviness, or enlargement in extremities
- Decreased range of motion or mobility
- Non-healing wounds
- Tingling sensation in hands or feet
- Complications from radiation treatment
- Pre- and postsurgical education and treatment
- Lymph drainage techniques
- Education and exercise therapy
- Self-massage training for scar tissue and lymphedema
- Wrapping and bandaging
- Preparation, fitting, and training for compression sleeves
- Priority scheduling available for acute conditions
Get Relief for Lymphedema in Spokane, WA
Our therapists can help you find relief for your lymphedema symptoms and prevent complications. For compassionate, personalized lymphedema care in Spokane, Washington, call the Paula Dillon Mays Therapy Clinic nearest you for an appointment today. You can also request an appointment online.